Friday 3 February 2012

Me talk good: Right speech

Last week's post was an example (of my personal failure) of the struggle to speak mindfully. 
So what then might speaking mindfully look like? 
How can we know if what we are about to say is "mindful" or not? 
 
What follows is paraphrased &  attributed to someone named Sid(-dhartha) a few thousand years ago
It is a pithy & revealing set of suggestions for thinking critically about how we use speech.

"[1] In the case of words that I know to be unfactual, untrue, unbeneficial, unendearing & disagreeable to others, I do  not say them.

[2] In the case of words that I know to be factual, true, unbeneficial, unendearing & disagreeable to others, I do not say them.

[3] In the case of words that I know to be factual, true, beneficial, but unendearing & disagreeable to others, I have  a sense of the proper time for saying them.

[4] In the case of words that I know to be unfactual, untrue, unbeneficial, but endearing & agreeable to others, I do  not say them.

[5] In the case of words that I know to be factual, true, unbeneficial, but endearing & agreeable to others, I do not say them.

[6] In the case of words that I know to be factual, true, beneficial, and endearing & agreeable to others, I have a sense of the proper time for saying them. 

Why is that? Because I have sympathy for living beings."

An good additional question to ask is: 
"Do I speak with a kindly heart, or am I inwardly malicious?

Be well,
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment